The church was organized in 1870. There was no designated meeting place other than in homes. Later, meeting were held in a one room school located at the corner of Sherman and 3rd Street. There were 12 or 15 members and Sunday School meeting were held two Sundays each month by both Baptist and Methodist.
Our town grew, in 1887 the first pastor W.S. South,rode horseback from Bryan to preach once a month.
On December 19, 1880, thirty-three men pledge $418.50 for the first church building. Isaac Conroe donated land for the first church building at the corner of Davis and First. Conroe then headed the circuit and records from that year stated "Methodist are in majority here."
The building located at the corner of Main and Phillips, known as the “second sanctuary” was completed in 1917 at a cost of $11,208.14. In spite of a temporary attendance setback due to an epidemic of Spanish influenza, membership of Conroe Methodist Church grew to 400, with 250 enrolled in Sunday School.
In July 1941, the cornerstone of the third sanctuary rested on the same site, accommodating the building to be completed that December. The old church facility served as an educational building for several years until damaged by a storm. During this period Sunday School classes met in various nearby locations.
A memorable event took place in 1965 when a long dreamed of extended, three-unit building, with all the related improvements, became a reality. Two years later another far more extensive, yet unrelated event occurred with the unification of Methodists and Evangelical Brethren -- now the United Methodist Church.
It is obvious that the history of First United Methodist Church in Conroe is not complete. With the dedication of the current facility in November 2000, there appeared a new, enlarged era of service in which the doors are opened wide to all who come. Correspondingly, never in the history of the church has there been more urgent need for its stabilizing, strengthening influence and its spiritual guidance.